Cherkasov Sergey Nikolaevich, Doctor of medical sciences, head of department, National Research Institute of Public Health named after N. A. Semashko (building 1, 12 Vorontsovo Pole street, Moscow, Russia), E-mail: email@example.com
Zolotarev Pavel Nikolaevich, Candidate of medical sciences, associate professor, vice-rector for medical treatment, Medical University “Reaviz” (227 Chapaevskaya street, Samara, Russia), E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. The professional standards for medical laboratory professionals regulating their qualification characteristics were approved in the beginning of 2018. This regulatory document attracted the interest of the laboratory community not just because of future laboratory staff training, but also due to the situation with those laboratory specialists that are currently working, their ability to meet these new standards and readiness to fulfill their labour tasks. So far, there are no methods to check whether the employees meet new professional standards. The aim of this study was to assess whether laboratory medicine specialists meet professional standards using the criterion of attention, developed by us.
Material and methods. We have conducted a sociological survey of 83 medical laboratory specialists with higher education from Samara region. Respondents were asked to estimate (within a range of 10%) the parameters characterizing labor functions within the professional standards for specialists in laboratory diagnostics. They were offered to use the criterion of attention, which shows how much attention they pay to the parameters assessed.
Results. We found that laboratory specialists aged under 30 years with working experience less than 10 years pay less attention to consulting assistance to physicians in terms of laboratory assays and results interpretation. Heads of diagnostic laboratories are more concerned about client consulting (both before testing and after it). These tasks should be fulfilled by laboratory specialists with higher medical education only. Employees of private laboratories and laboratories of medical centers also pay less attention to these issues compared to the rest of the respondents. We found no correlation between the type of higher education and the value of criterion of attention for evaluated parameters. However, the new standards do not imply the fulfillment of these tasks by the specialists with higher biological education.
Conclusion. We evaluated medical laboratory specialists form Samara region and assessed, whether they meet new professional standards. We found that not all laboratory specialists completely meet the new professional standards. Our results can be used for assessing the effectiveness of laboratory staff in Samara region.
1. Kokovikhin A. Yu., Ivanitskiy V. P. Sibirskaya finansovaya shkola [Siberian financial school]. 2016, no. 6 (119), pp. 144–150.
2. Ptitsyna N. A. Vestnik Nizhegorodskogo universiteta im. N. I. Lobachevskogo. Ser.: Sotsial'nye nauki [Bulletin of University of Nizhny Novgorod]: Series: Social sciences. 2016, no. 1 (41), pp. 113–120.
3. Oleynikova O. N., Murav'eva A. A. Professional'nye standarty: printsipy formirovaniya, naznachenie i struktura: metod. posobie [Professional standards: principles of establishment, allocation and structure: learner’s guide]. Moscow: ANO Tsentr IRPO, 2011, 100 p.
4. Laboratornaya sluzhba [Laboratory service]. 2016, no. 1, pp. 42–64.
5. Zolotarev P. N. Morfologicheskie vedomosti [Morphological bulletin]. 2017, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 63–68.
6. Prikaz Mintruda Rossii ot 14.03.2018 № 145n «Ob utverzhdenii professional'nogo standarta «Spetsialist v oblasti klinicheskoy laboratornoy diagnostiki» [The order of the Ministry of Labour of Russian of 14.03.2018 № 145n “On approval of the professional standard “Specialist in the field of clinical laboratory diagnostics”]. Moscow, 2018.
7. Zolotarev P. N. Vestnik Rossiyskogo gosudarstvennogo meditsinskogo universiteta [Bulletin of Russian State Medical University]. 2015, no. 2, pp. 584–585.
8. Zolotarev P. N. Zabaykal'skiy meditsinskiy vestnik [Trans-Baikal medical bulletin]. 2015, no. 3, pp. 52–60. Available at: http://chitgma.ru/zmv2 (accessed Sept. 30, 2015).
9. Zolotarev P. N. Scientific discussion. 2017, no. 5, pp. 46–50.
10. Goncharova D. A. European Scientific Conference: sb. st. VII Mezhdunar. nauch.- prakt. konf.: v 2 ch. [European scientific conference: proceedings of VII International scientific and practical conference: in 2 parts]. Penza, 2017, part 2, pp. 86–88.